Carnivores CE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weather effect and time.

4 posters

Go down

Weather effect and time. Empty Weather effect and time.

Post  MR.X Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:50 am

Hey, Its me Glitch. I decided to use a different Username for once and also My account's validation E-mail never appeared (most likely because my E-mail account thought it was spam. So now I'm MR.X.

What I want to talk about is weather effects.

Now we know the seasons thing is to be picked but that is unrealistic. Maybe the player should have a time automatically set when he enters his name. I'm saying that perhaps the seasons should depend on the player's location and date. It seems pointless to have seasons if the date has to remain unchanged.

The time settings and the player's region will determine what kind of seasons happen during what month.

This information will be asked for when a player enters his name at the start. The user's exact time, date and region will determine what season it is in game.

Does anyone think this is a good Idea besides me? It also adds variation to a player's experience with the game. Rexhunter99 for example lives in Australia so when Rex enters that data it will followed by the time and date (These are preset by default but can be changed at the player's discretion.) The game uses the time and date and to determine what season it is in the player's part of the world making the game fun.

Also I think that the time and date should also determine the time of day, sort of like in pokemon GSC and D/P, Using the same schedule but then again it could vary to where the amount of daylight changes each day and it has equinoxes and solstices.

Perhaps a daylights saving time feature too just so people who have to deal with daylight savings time can relax.

All these options can be changed from the options menu as well Please let me know what youthink of my idea.

Thank!
MR.X
MR.X
Dimetrodon
Dimetrodon

Male Number of posts : 42
Location : Bloomington, Indiana, USA. Home of Indiana University
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Dinosaur
Name: Justin AKA Glisp
Health:
Weather effect and time. Left_bar_bleue100/100Weather effect and time. Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Species: Spinosaurus

Back to top Go down

Weather effect and time. Empty Re: Weather effect and time.

Post  RexHunter99 Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:03 am

Thats a lot of work >_> and I think your onto something. However I want to make it so that the 'season' is randomized at the Hunt menu, and (if you saw my new menu UI) it either highlights Winter, Summer, Spring, Fall and then chooses the appropriate area images to display each area with the correct season.
for time, I think we can just use the system time and allow the players to go into the settings and 'add' hours/minutes to it, thus allowing them to change the game time. However it may just be easier to keep the Dawn/Day/Night Feature.
RexHunter99
RexHunter99
CCET Programmer
CCET Programmer

Male Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Dinosaur
Name: James
Health:
Weather effect and time. Left_bar_bleue100/100Weather effect and time. Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Species: Velociraptor

Back to top Go down

Post  MR.X Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:14 am

But would you look into it for later versions possibly?
MR.X
MR.X
Dimetrodon
Dimetrodon

Male Number of posts : 42
Location : Bloomington, Indiana, USA. Home of Indiana University
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Dinosaur
Name: Justin AKA Glisp
Health:
Species: Spinosaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  Seismosaur Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:01 am

This is too restrictive.

What if you want to hunt on a winter hunt, but it's spring where you live?

After all, in the game you CHOOSE everything. Where to hunt, what time, etc... You don't live on the islands, DinoHunt Corp. takes you there.

Last edited by Seismosaur on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Seismosaur
Seismosaur
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  Adelphospro Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:47 am

Relax mates Smile

Personally, I think it's an interesting idea, but a little bit much for a PC game (not to mention the programming that would be required to make it work!)

Besides, the foundation for this is already done.

Just edit the "types" in each map script.
The hunt menu could randomly set the types (like: type1 = "summer") or allow the user to do it.
Each dino has its set of "types" that define it.

What's left is to simply make separate rsc files for each map (the menu allows you to select a custom RSC, though it has not been made user friendly: ie you can choose ANY rsc and no user-friendly names for the rscs. Ideally, we would want the list of RSCs to have better names and by allowed only with their maps. Like: "Original" "Summer" "Winter" "Hellish" "Candy") Then you simply set the dino types to match the rsc (original, summer, winter, hellish, green, black, white, and/or candy. You can mix types)

All this is menu specific. None of it requires editing the game code.
Adelphospro
Adelphospro
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 157

Dinosaur
Name: Bob
Health:
Weather effect and time. Left_bar_bleue0/0Weather effect and time. Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Species: Tyrannosaurus rex

http://www.adelphospro.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum